Employment and Internships
We are seeking one intern to assist in the collection of wildlife data specifically on shorebirds, on Sanibel Island. Preference will be given to individuals with prior experience nest searching & brood monitoring for shorebirds. Intern will be responsible for care of nature center live animal exhibits (snakes and turtles), as well as a weekly environmental program on Snowy Plovers. Work will be 5-6 days per week starting early in the morning and potentially continuing into the evening. Weekend and night work may be required. Applicants must also be willing to assist with other departmental projects including, invasive species removal, sea turtle monitoring, small mammal trapping and freshwater fish/invertebrate sampling.
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, wildlife biology, or related field
- Field experience with: birds
- Ability and desire to work long, irregular hours (including weekend hours)
- Ability to work under adverse conditions (intense sun and heat, biting insects, rain)
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude and sense of humor
- Ability to collect accurate scientific data independently
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Enthusiasm for field research and learning new field techniques
- Field experience with: herps, small mammals
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience with GIS
- Willingness to use your personal vehicle for work (mileage compensated)
- Experience with public outreach
$200/week stipend, housing when on Sanibel, $400 travel stipend
Send cover letter, resume, and contact info for 3 references to Chris Lechowicz at email@example.com
February 29, 2016
We will contact qualified applicants to set up interview appointments. No phone calls, please.
SCCF Oyster Restoration Volunteers Needed
Want to help SCCF restore healthy, productive oyster reefs to San Carlos and Tarpon Bays? Volunteer with us beginning this Wednesday, November 4! Events will be held three days a week from 9-12, although you are more than welcome to stay after lunch to help the Marine Lab staff as they continue with the restoration efforts. This week we will have work days only on Wednesday and Thursday starting from the Sanibel Boat Ramp. Volunteers please register (if you have not already) at http://marinelab.sccf.org/signup/
. Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age.
This week’s work plan will include filling buckets with fossilized shell and transporting them to the Tarpon Bay boat ramp, loading the buckets onto a barge and transporting them to the restoration site, and finally dumping the shell. This is very physical work so come prepared with clothes that can get dirty and wet and close-toed shoes that can get wet. Close-toed shoes are a requirement—no exceptions.
Work days and plans for the following week will be sent out on Fridays to those individuals who have registered through the above link. If you have any questions please email Erick at firstname.lastname@example.org
or call the SCCF Marine Lab at 239-395-4617.