Employment and Internships
Grants and Business Manager
The Sanibel-Captiva Conservation Foundation (SCCF) is a private not-for-profit organization (http://marinelab.sccf.org
). The SCCF Marine Laboratory is a member of NAML/SAML and the Florida Institute of Oceanography (FIO) and has 6 resident scientific staff, two of whom are Ph.D. Research Scientists. SCCF is a drug-free workplace.
: The SCCF Marine Laboratory seeking an independent, personable, and self-motivated person to help the Director track expenses, submit invoices, and help as needed on Marine Lab projects. The new hire will also help the lab move to a new facility in 2016. The position requires full-time presence at the SCCF Marine Laboratory on Sanibel Island (near Fort Myers, FL). Working closely with the Marine Lab Director, the Grants Manager’s primary responsibility will be to provide administrative support, financial and grant reports, track lab equipment and supplies, and perform front desk duties associated with the running of a field laboratory. Preference will be given to those familiar with lab safety, marine and environmental education, and/or knowledge of the local environment (bays and Gulf of Mexico). Work will primarily be at the Lab (office) during normal working hours (8:00-4:30) with some weekend and evening hours for special events. Individual must be able to work independently, have strong oral and written communication skills and be very organized.
This position requires a BA or BS in business management or any relevant degree related to lab activities with administrative support experience. Advanced knowledge of spreadsheets (e.g. Microsoft Excel) and databases (Microsoft Access), Adobe Acrobat Professional in addition to word processing and presentation software is required. Other skills such as public speaking, editing, and computers is desired.
Specific Duties include:
- Perform functions of financial administration and reporting to include, but not limited to: preparation and timely submission of grant applications and reports, manage all billing for grants and contracts award, development and adjustment of associated budgets with lead scientists, coordination of budgeted funds, screening and processing expenditures.
- Perform front desk administrative duties associated with the running of a remote college campus and field laboratory. Includes answering the phone, being a receptionist, giving lab tours to donors, and being the point of contact for fieldwork.
- Works closely with the SCCF Marine Lab Director and Business Manager on billing and other financial matters. Individual oversees time and effort, travel- and leave-related tracking and management.
- Helps Marine Lab scientific staff to enter data, perform outreach as needed and prepares reports and content for the SCCF Newsletter and other outlets to promote awareness of lab activities.
- Maintains inventory (Access database) for research equipment, chemicals and field gear.
- Assists with the transfer to a new Marine Lab facility in 2016.
- Gives public presentations about lab activities to laypersons and supports other outreach activities at the lab.
: Full time. Some weekend and evening hours required. Benefits including medical, dental, life, 401K, disability insurance. Work location: SCCF Marine Laboratory, Sanibel Island, FL
Please send C.V., cover letter, and the names and contact information for 3 references who can describe your skills and abilities to accomplish the required duties to Dr. Eric Milbrandt, email@example.com
, 900A Tarpon Bay Rd., Sanibel, FL 33957.