Employment and Internships
We currently have a Retail Sales Assistant position in our Native Plant Nursery.
Native Plant Nursery Retail Sales Assistant
The Native Plant Nursery seeks a friendly, responsible, and self-motivated individual to fill our seasonal retail sales position. This person should have experience with basic plant care as well as customer service in order to accomplish the goals and objectives of the SCCF’s Native Plant Nursery. The Native Plant Nursery offers a unique working environment, as it is a non-profit retail nursery dedicated to landscaping for the improvement of native habitat and wildlife on and around Sanibel and Captiva Islands. This position begins in November of 2014 and continues through the end of April 2015.
- Maintain an open and inviting atmosphere for effective customer service
- Assist & educate customers; handle plant sales; deliver plants to customers
- Provide technical advice on all facets of horticulture & native plant landscaping including plant and pest identification for customers
- Keep nursery well organized and tidy
- Create & print price tags, plants labels, & informational signage using database programs
- Receive plant deliveries from vendors
- Coordinate with the Native Plant Nursery manager to order nursery supplies
- Assist manager with wholesale purchasing of native plants (for both general nursery stock & for in-house landscaping installations)
- Communicate effectively and maintain a positive relationship with nursery volunteers and fellow staff/interns
- Ensure health of nursery stock through watering, pruning, weeding, and IPM practices
- Maintain irrigation systems & schedules; provide weekly checks of irrigation
The Native Plant Nursery Retail Sales Assistant reports to the Native Plant Nursery Manager.
- B.S./B.A. in Horticulture, Biology, Botany, Plant Science, or other natural science, with a strong interest in conservation
- Possess great customer service skills
- Be highly organized, flexible, & self-motivated
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Computer literacy
- Knowledge of Florida native plants/southwest Florida habitats and/or coastal barrier island environments preferred
- Have the ability to work with volunteers & interns
- Willingness to work in hot & humid, often buggy conditions
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
Commensurate with experience
Send resume, cover letter and 3 references with telephone numbers and email addresses to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline For Applications
: When filled
Job Posted: 9/25/2014